Monday, August 4, 2008

Thing #14

Oh my, over 72,000 tags for "olympics". Crikey. I am interested in current events and other people's thoughts about them, so this tagging is kind of like my new way to eavesdrop on other people's thoughts on current events. It is a new form of people watching. This is also an unfiltered version of information - true, false, democrat, republican, rich, poor - it is all out there and I can get it. From every side. Do I see application in the classroom? Not really. Well, I guess I can see showing my students a local's perspective on current events in Venezuela or a tourist's thoughts on the running of the bulls in Spain, but I do not see using it on any regular basis.
Overall, I think tagging can be great. I see using it for personal use to categorize and simplify my search for recipes, travel logs, tips for anything and everything and other things that hold my interest. I also see linking sites that I can use for certain units in my class...i.e. clips of South America when I introduce geography of Spanish speaking countries. I would have easy access to everything I need over a long term basis without having to use the same computer, scan a huge list of bookmarks or create file after file of lists of sites in Word that I still would have to pull up and scan through using cut and paste. Viva the tag.

No comments: