Monday, August 4, 2008

Thing #16 Wikis

I have to admit it....I am beginning to feel repetitive. I feel like many of these tools are great for updating ideas, sharing them and being able to reference it all. Post, change, share and repeat. Wikis are another example of a forum for discussion, growth (or editing in this case) and frequent reference.
The benefits are definitely there...share, more than just in one class or one group of friends; develop new thoughts, change your theory and expand on thoughts - edit and have constant access - don't dig through your backpack for notes or scrounge to jot down quotes, it is all right there on every computer or web-accessing phone, on the internet. But, I am concerned that wikis will become the new unchecked, opinionated encycolpedias of the future for our students. We may have a glitch in our system as wikis are the new fact finders for students and educational organizations/researchers/etc become overlooked. Who will distinguish fact from fiction? How will the younger generation learn to filter it all?
Since I teach a language I can see posting horribly written essays so that students can see editing and try it themselves. Also, I can see homework forums of sorts occurring as groups post and edit assignments on wikis. Also, group projects can be created on wikis as they improve my basic structure and expand on what already is published.

No comments: